Skip to main content

Tanglewood Hall is (mostly) done

I went on a big push this long weekend to try to get this house semi-finished (right now in the project I want to get them each to the point where their furniture can be stored within) and I succeeded. I posted about the Georgian Kitchen and the shop and modiste/milliner upstairs, but it was time to buckle down and do the wallpaper for the bedroom.

I'd been procrastinating it both because it was to be my first time with wallpaper and also because it was a super-tricky first time with wallpaper. What I hadn't realized is that the arched fireplace I'd ordered for the bedroom had a really deep back. That wasn't necessarily bad as this one is above the kitchen stove which shows a pretty huge fireplace stack, but it necessitated a much bigger chimney breast than I'd used for the dog grates in Traveller's Rest. So I built one, but then that meant I had to either cut the wallpaper to fit its angles, or bend it in.



I opted to bend it in, which mostly worked, but it was super tricky. I feel like I didn't so much install this wallpaper as survive it!


If I had been smart, I would have measured if not installed the wallpaper on that back wall with the windows before I started gluing stuff together. Then it would have been easy (well, comparably easy) to cut the window holes to size. What I ended up doing instead was installing the front part of the window by gluing around the edges, and then sticking the back to the wallpaper. So there's a bit of weird depth happening, but I think it works. 




I think I'm going to do curtains but they will have to be a nice neutral color as while the printed fabric I used for the bed matches nicely, it won't work right up against the wallpaper. So they're going to have to wait until I get the right fabric. Similarly, I think I'm going to put a mirror above the fireplace -- it feels a little bare but a picture would just clash with the wallpaper.


Once I got the wallpaper in I could install the floor, again using strips from S.H. Goode. This time rather than wainscoting, I used baseboards, also from S.H. Goode. I really wanted to show off the wallpaper, which is from Petworth Miniatures.



One thing I'm trying to decide on is whether to install these beams. It felt a little weird that the wallpaper ended "early" and I'm thinking they might help it seem more natural.

This bedroom is meant to be the "best" bedroom at the inn; it's all done up in "modern" furniture (some beautiful Empire/Regency style kits from Petworth), and even has a bathtub. The vanity is dressed with a necklace that sorely tried my patience, some bottles, and a bowl with a cracked egg, for this was one method of washing hair in the Georgian/Regency era. The lady staying in the bedroom is perhaps attending a ball in the yet-to-be-built assembly room!









Almost all of the rest of the furniture is from Petite Properties, and there are more details in my prior posts about where the various items came from. An exception is the trundle bed in the loft upstairs, which is from Herdwick Landscapes. I still need to do a bit more with the loft -- I think it needs a trunk or something where the servant living up there would put their belongings. And perhaps some of it is used for storage. The tricky part is that nothing super tall will fit up there. 

So the interior is not quite finished, but it's done enough to hold its furniture and so that means I'm on to the next structure!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where I bought all of the things

Updated 8/28/2021 with new shops I've noticed: I have been afraid to start on this post because it means going back through SO MANY posts and Pinterest pins and who knows what else, but I also know it's something I can do because I can recall how difficult it was to find items when I was looking to source everything I needed for this project. So this is as complete a list as I can make it, which means it's probably not complete at all...there are certainly shops missing where I just forgot where I got things or purchased one item from an Etsy or eBay store. I hope it will still be helpful to folks, though! Shops are generally listed under the category where I got the most items from but if I got a lot from several categories they are cross-listed. I've also included some web sites that have been on my radar or used for other projects even if I didn't use them for this one. They're  noted as such. These are all 1:48 scale or O Scale unless otherwise noted. Please

Setbacks and progress

I haven't posted in a while because I haven't really completed anything lately. I am still working away on both Butterwick Houses, but I thought I would at least post some pictures of work in progress. One of the tricky things with these houses has been figuring out my plan to build them. The reason for this is that they will eventually be joined in some fashion -- their balconies will connect to form the gallery. The bottom part of them needs to be in a stone finish, and I couldn't put the lower windows in until the stone finish was done around them. But the stone finish couldn't be completed until the upstairs was more complete and I attached the balconies. Add to this a whole lot of wallpaper and details which means I really need to work on the rooms from the bottom up without the upper floor in place for each room, and it became a real conundrum. Ultimately what I decided to do was to do part of the front stone, particularly around the windows. I'll then ha

Completing the ballroom

I went on a major offensive this weekend trying to get the bedrooms of my Butterwick Houses done, and I did! But it's going to take some time to write up the details for those and I realized that I still haven't posted on completing the ballroom. It's simpler than many of the other rooms as it needs a lot of space in the middle for dancing. On one end are two Petworth Miniatures chairs, and a plant stand I picked up somewhere along the way, which is serving as a little side table to hold another Mini From Italy fan. The vases are actually lamp bases from SJS Originals on Etsy, with some Stewart Dollhouse roses inside and embroidery thread as the greenery. I'm pretty chuffed with how those turned out as I think it's my best tiny painting to date. The fireplace is from Victoria Miniland and boy those are a pain to paint. I think I tried spray paint first and it just wouldn't get into the detailed bits so I had to use regular paint (somewhere around here I h