Skip to main content

I've got my Georgian kitchen!

So I finally figured out the plan of attack for putting together the carcass of Tanglewood Hall, and executed it. As you can see in the photo, I ended up using painter's tape to hold the fireplace above in place so that I could run the wire down through the stove.


I basically assembled the upper floors all in one piece to go in, so that I could run the wires for the lights down through the interior wall, the one that will run  between the kitchen and the shop. It was tricky, to say the least.



Somehow in my kit-bashing I ended up with a big old gap between the wall and the floor upstairs, so I've had to go in with some CrackShot (love that stuff) to fill it in. So there's still quite a lot of work to be done upstairs -- fixing that gap, then floors, and (gulp) wallpaper. 

But the good news is, the kitchen is done! I did manage to make the grill; it's got a Herdwick Landscapes griddle on top. I also bought the crane to go with the griddle but I think I'm going to use that in the "other" kitchen. I made the sugar cone out of clay and the sugar nippers are actually blacksmith's tongs! The utensils and other bits are from various places that I've gathered as I've been planning the kitchen.




I used Petite Properties paints for much of the painting and for whatever reason, the wall color, Wishy Washy Stone, got really oddly thick. I love the PP colors but the consistency is, well, inconsistent. It ended up working pretty well for the kitchen though as it felt like thick wall plaster.


Is this stove gorgeous or what? It's the one from Herdwick Landscapes with a Petite Properties surround that fit almost perfectly. Actually it fit perfectly before I painted it...it was a bit of a tight squeeze getting it in for final placement! The coppers along the top are meant to look like molds; they're actually 12th scale muffin cups that I picked up.


If I could go back in time and give myself advice, it would be to use a much greater proportion of spray paint in my work. Those copper pots on the shelf there are cast metal and after spray priming I painted and painted and painted and painted them with Petite Propeties' "Copper Pots". It never quite looked even.

Then I got some Rustoleum metallic spray paint and the copper color went on the pots beautifully (and so much more quickly!). The food is mostly from Medieval Miniatures including those adorable hanging hams, the tankards and plates 3d printed from Shapeways, and the butcher block stand, table, and chairs are all Petite Properties. The pots and pans are from S&D Models.


.

I got the table "dressed" this weekend with the meal all ready for those lower-class passengers to come in and eat, and so finally what the finished kitchen will look like is all set!

I'm considering only one more addition...the wall by the table does look a bit bare. I'm wondering if I should put a clock there or something. There's still plenty of time to decide.


You can't see as much of the detail of that awesome stove now that it's all together, but I think once it's lit up it will pop a lot more.


I really wanted to do a full-on Georgian kitchen as part of the project and I am super stoked that it's finally come together!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where I bought all of the things

Updated 8/28/2021 with new shops I've noticed: I have been afraid to start on this post because it means going back through SO MANY posts and Pinterest pins and who knows what else, but I also know it's something I can do because I can recall how difficult it was to find items when I was looking to source everything I needed for this project. So this is as complete a list as I can make it, which means it's probably not complete at all...there are certainly shops missing where I just forgot where I got things or purchased one item from an Etsy or eBay store. I hope it will still be helpful to folks, though! Shops are generally listed under the category where I got the most items from but if I got a lot from several categories they are cross-listed. I've also included some web sites that have been on my radar or used for other projects even if I didn't use them for this one. They're  noted as such. These are all 1:48 scale or O Scale unless otherwise noted. Please

Setbacks and progress

I haven't posted in a while because I haven't really completed anything lately. I am still working away on both Butterwick Houses, but I thought I would at least post some pictures of work in progress. One of the tricky things with these houses has been figuring out my plan to build them. The reason for this is that they will eventually be joined in some fashion -- their balconies will connect to form the gallery. The bottom part of them needs to be in a stone finish, and I couldn't put the lower windows in until the stone finish was done around them. But the stone finish couldn't be completed until the upstairs was more complete and I attached the balconies. Add to this a whole lot of wallpaper and details which means I really need to work on the rooms from the bottom up without the upper floor in place for each room, and it became a real conundrum. Ultimately what I decided to do was to do part of the front stone, particularly around the windows. I'll then ha

Completing the ballroom

I went on a major offensive this weekend trying to get the bedrooms of my Butterwick Houses done, and I did! But it's going to take some time to write up the details for those and I realized that I still haven't posted on completing the ballroom. It's simpler than many of the other rooms as it needs a lot of space in the middle for dancing. On one end are two Petworth Miniatures chairs, and a plant stand I picked up somewhere along the way, which is serving as a little side table to hold another Mini From Italy fan. The vases are actually lamp bases from SJS Originals on Etsy, with some Stewart Dollhouse roses inside and embroidery thread as the greenery. I'm pretty chuffed with how those turned out as I think it's my best tiny painting to date. The fireplace is from Victoria Miniland and boy those are a pain to paint. I think I tried spray paint first and it just wouldn't get into the detailed bits so I had to use regular paint (somewhere around here I h